Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sister

I have been thinking about this for a while and decided this morning that I need to blog about it. My sister and her girlfriend visited us for a week last week. One morning, while her girlfriend was sleeping in, my sister and I walked to a local coffee shop. We were chatting about random stuff, including my step-mother-in-law (who is really quite controlling and can be difficult to handle - my sister knows her). I mentioned that all of the daughters-in-law (there are currently 3 of us, with 2 more almosts) find her annoying and difficult. I mentioned in passing "when I was having so much trouble with [sister-in-law's] pregnancy, one thing I laughed about is how she has [steph-mom-in-law] right there to annoy her constantly once she gives birth." My sister responded not with a laugh or something funny but instead with "yeah, I never quite could understand how you can have a problem with [sister-in-law] being pregnant." I looked at her and said "no, you can't understand, and I hope you never do have to understand." Shut her up. But I really couldn't believe her. For judging me. Not that this really matters, but she is a gay woman who is considering marrying her current partner. She has considered marrying every partner, and I have never judged her when she says "we are thinking of getting married." I have never said "you think that about everyone, how about letting the relationship go a few years and see if it's still healthy?" This current relationship is just (last week) one year old. And they spent the first 9 months of it living in cities close to 1000 miles apart.

The kicker was that she said "we're going to look into having a baby at the end of this year. I have wondered how you'll feel about this and whether you'll be angry at me."

First of all, what? Second of all, double what?

Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment